Thursday 7 July 2011

FOR THE HUNGRY & WILD

When I was a kid, I highly disliked breakfast--mostly breakfast foods. I could eat pizza or spaghetti in the morning, but I found eggs gross, and highly disliked mushy oatmeal. It became a chore for me to eat something in the morning, and my family became well aware of this.

Now, I love breakfast. I'm not really sure from where this love grew, but when I wake up in the morning, I'm hungry and I crave something yummy and nutritious to kick start my day (sounds about perfect).

Because mornings often consist of me rushing around, trying to get out of the house for an appointment or to the library to do research, or even just wanting to get right to work at home, I very seldom have a massive breakfast of eggs and toast, fruit and yoghurt, all of the wonderfully yummy things...ahem...pancakes and sausage...so, every now and then I make breakfast for dinner or I'll prepare a big breakfast on the weekend of pancakes, sausages, eggs, fruit...om nom nom.

For these breakfasts (or dinners), I like to whip up a batch of banana pancakes. But these aren't just any banana pancakes, these ones are whole wheat with oatmeal and pack a punch of protein with whey powder: I call them Tarzan Pancakes.


Tarzan Pancakes
adapted from Oatmeal Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Sauce at Health.com

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup soy milk
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/8 cup agave nectar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 scoop whey protein powder
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1 1/2 cups soy milk
olive oil/cooking spray

1. Soak oats in 1 cup soy milk (or whatever milk you like) in a small bowl for 15 minutes.

2. Combine flour, agave nectar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and whey protein powder in a medium bowl. Whisk in eggs and egg whites, then add milk. Stir until all wet and dry ingredients are well combined.

3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and lightly coat with light tasting olive oil or cooking spray. Pour about 1/2 cup batter per pancake onto hot pan and cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Flip and cook another 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

4. Cook remaining batter in batches and serve with warm maple syrup.

Makes 10-12 pancakes.

I like to serve these pancakes with spicy turkey sausages and fresh fruit--yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment