Thursday 29 September 2011

CHEW ON THIS


Could this be the next best thing in energy bars? It could just be like any other health food to hit the market: if it's having to make a claim that it's a health food, perhaps the product itself falls short of actually being considered 'healthy'. Then again, what is 'healthy'? And that this food, as Michael Pollan of The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food has noted, is packaged in the first place, makes one ponder the good food-bad food debate all over again. Shouldn't we be eating fresh (un-packaged) foods like vegetables and fruits? And finally, is this article just a plug for someone's new product? Hello, food politics.

I'll leave that up to you to decide.

I came across this article this morning (actually, it was in my e-mail inbox, I highly recommend you subscribe to this website) and was immediately intrigued. For my thesis research, I am doing a critical analysis of nutritional literacy--or the lack thereof--and people's perceptions of nutrition, nutrition labelling, etc. As part of my research, I will be conducting a case study of three brands of granola bars, all similar in caloric content, two claiming to be 'organic' and/or 'health' products, two high-glycemic, and one low-glycemic. After reading this article, though, perhaps I need to add a fourth brand?

While I still have a lot of research to do, I hope to update you with my findings along the way. My academics seem to be my greatest focus these days, so the least I could do was share a bit of it with you.

As for whether or not I'm convinced by this product? I think I'd consider it (but I'll let you know in the spring when I complete my thesis). 

Read Dr. Mercola's article and let me know what you think.

image via dr.  mercola

No comments:

Post a Comment