Someone once told me that when you have a lot of cheese in the fridge, you should use it. Okay, that person was me. Don't judge.
I love cheese. And this Four Cheese Macaroni I created does not fall short of expressing that. Cheese is delicious, and what better time to enjoy a hearty homemade macaroni and cheese than in the middle of autumn when all you want to do is snuggle up with a blanket, a cup of hot cocoa, and some good ol' comfort food! Yum.
Four Cheese Macaroni
2 cups dry macaroni, I use brown rice pasta
2 tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
1 cup milk
1/4 cup emmental, grated
1/4 cup old cheddar, grated
1/4 cup gouda, grated
2 tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated
2 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. water
salt and pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil and prepare pasta according to package. Once cooked, drain pasta.
2. Return saucepan to the stove and heat a couple of teaspoons of olive oil. Once oil is heated, add onion and cook until soft.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl or cup, mix cornstarch and water until all cornstarch is dissolved.
4. To onions, add milk and stir constantly. Add cheeses and once combined/melted, add cornstarch mixture and continue to stir.
5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Finally, add drained pasta to what should now be a luxurious, thick cheese sauce. Combine so that all pasta is coated, and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.
image via pinterest