Wednesday 11 April 2012

101 COOKBOOKS

Heidi Swanson's 101 Cookbooks has to be one of the first food and recipe blogs that I ever started following. I don't even remember how I came across the website, but what I do remember is falling in love with so many of her recipes and learning from her tips and tricks in the kitchen, like how to build a natural foods pantry (Thanks, Heidi!).

In addition to her blog, Heidi has also published two cookbooks, Super Natural Cooking and Super Natural Everyday. I don't own either--although I should, in mere support of the gal--but I recently checked out Super Natural Cooking from my local library and jotted down a few of her famed recipes in my notebook, recipes for Spring Minestrone with Wild Rice and Otsu, a soba noodle dish dressed with pan-fried tofu and a ginger sesame sauce (a recipe that can also be found on her website--lucky you!). One recipe that I got right at work re-creating in my kitchen, though, is for Heidi's Grain-ola.

You may remember a while back I posted a recipe for my Un-Granola Granola--basically just raisins, nuts, and coconut, but a delicious topping to yoghurt nonetheless. And, let's not forget, completely gluten-free and paleo-friendly! For those of you who are okay with consuming grains, though (or if not, get gluten-free rolled oats instead!), I put together this recipe for a fabulous granola that's easy to make and can be stored for weeks (or days, depending on how long it lasts in your home!).


Grain-ola with Goji Berries & Mango
adapted from Super Natural Cooking

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup dried unsweetened mango, chopped
1/4 cup goji berries
zest of 1 large lemon
1/4 cup agave 
1/8 cup coconut oil


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients.

2. Place agave and oil in a small saucepan. Heat on low until well combined. Once combined, pour over dry mixture and coat evenly.

3. Divide mixture evenly between two small baking sheets. Place in oven and bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown, turning mixture about every 10 minutes.

4. Remove from oven and let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Makes about 5 cups.

Try This: First of all, I recommend doubling the recipe if you have the space (and the mouths) to store and enjoy this lovely mixture. R doesn't eat granola, so I only made enough for myself.

Enjoy this granola with your favourite yoghurt or milk. And for other ideas, why not pack in baggies for snacks? Or, add to uncooked baked goods like muffins or other sweet breads for a faux streusel topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment